Saturday, June 12, 2021

A Tribute Part 4 (Final)

 One of the truly wonderful things Paulina did was draw terminally ill cancer patients together in groups of 4 to 8. All of this work she did without compensation, it was her way of paying back, she said, for all she had been given. And being a survivor of cancer herself, she had a greater understanding of what it was to face death.

She created a series of weekly gatherings in her home, arranging taxi service if needed. She had the participants write down on separate slips of paper the things they most valued in life. These were placed in envelopes, marked with the participant's name.

Each week, they would take one slip of paper out of their envelopes and talk about this valuable thing they had written down. At length. 

In the centre of her table was a large bowl and when they were finished they would set a match to this piece of paper and bid it goodbye. It was profoundly moving but it prepared them in sharing with others who were dying also, like nothing else ever could.

"How on earth do you find them Paulina," I asked her one time.

"You forget," she responded, "That I am very well connected." Word of mouth indeed.

Another wonderful thing was we shared the same clothes and shoe size and Paulina's wardrobe was incredible. I mean it was beyond the pale. Beyond reach of my much smaller purse. I favoured Sally Anne and Goodwill (still do). She had a whole room dedicated to her clothes.

She asked me if I would be insulted if she offered me her clothes and shoes. I didn't need asking twice.

So I became the beneficiary of this fabulous wardrobe of DKNY dresses and skirts, designer woolen coats, the most incredible coats and blouses and designer shoes, sandals and trainers, matching leisure pieces and tops, all in fabulous natural fabrics. 

Her generosity extended to when I semi-retired and moved to Newfoundland. In the mail I would receive all sorts of goodies and when I told her I was performing, she went a little crazy and sent me these fabulous "performance" clothes, drapey skirts and silky tops and demand photos of me doing my "schtick". She never stopped believing in me and praising me for my talents. 

She'd always sense when I was upset and call me out of the blue and said she had a vibe and we'd talk something through, or share old age challenges, some of hers were quite funny. We very rarely strolled memory lane which I appreciated, we were always in the moment, always in the now.

Daughter said to me when I told her the sad news of Paulina's passing: "What a friend, Mum! She stuffed your heart, your stomach, your wallet and your closet!"

A fitting tribute, Paulina dear. The world needs more like you.

I will never forget you.

See Part 1 here

See Part 2 here

See Part 3 here



17 comments:

  1. Again, thank you so much for sharing your Paulina with us. A real treasure of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story! May she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a friend. A friend in the truest sense of the word(s) your daughter chose. My BFF said a true friend will get out of bed in the middle of the night and go find you. As Paulina would have done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you.
    You have made strangers to her love her, and also to realise that the world is a smaller, sadder place with her departure. Love your daughter's summation too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol at your daughter's remark, a fitting conclusion to a nice tale.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I would ever forget someone like that either.
    This has been a lovely tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely tribute, and yes your daughter's words sums it up in a fun way. May she find peace and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughter knows both you and your friend. What an amazing story you gave us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what an amazing woman and friend! What a pity she has died and you will never see or hear from her again! That Richard she was with for 40 years - he must miss her terribly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know who she is, but I'm sure your tribute to her is better than her official obituary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Remarkable woman! I understand why you don’t publish her real name but it is unfortunate that you can’t go public, given that apparently she has no other recognition of her contributions to her community and fellow humans.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your friend. Reading it, I found myself thinking of what it takes to be a friend. Not always easy but,in the end, so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A remarkable person and a remarkable friendship indeed. May her soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for this story of your great friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fabulous woman! Thank you for reminding all of us what a good friend can be.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You must be a remarkable woman to befriend so many remarkable people. What a wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful tribute to a very unique sounding lady.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.