Friday, December 28, 2012

Ramblin'


~~~~~~~~~Ansa on boat inspections duty, her day job~~~~~~~~~


I value the stuff that doesn't cost money. I wouldn't have said that even twenty years ago, for I wouldn't have truly felt that way. I do today.

I was out and about today with my camera, it gives me the greatest delight to do a walkabout, go to the shore, look at the wintering boats cuddled up together on the wharf with their Christmas lights. Yeah, the boats are decorated seasonally here. I breathe in the salt sea air. I chase a bit with the dog who did her own boats inspection as you can see.

It touches me no end when crusty old fishermen invite me for dinner. Meet the wife, they say, she'd like ya. I want to ask them what is there about me to like? Tell me, for I've never been sure of myself, much as I try. But of course I don't.

Sometimes though I get a bit of insight. You like us, they tell me, and you're like us. Easy to please, nothing too fancy about you at all. You fit in right well, we can be normal with you, no airs or being careful, like. We can be ourselves. We like how you treat old Mike's house and saved all his lovely woodwork. Respect, like. You're one of us.

I can't count the invitations I get. Though on a bad day I'd tell you they don't mean it, they just feel sorry for me, as that was the language I was brought up in. But the old language is dead and buried most days. Can't we do awful damage to a child, though? Can't we give them lifelong agony with our careless words? I'm sure I've done my share of it with my own. I didn't know any better and I have to allow that to my parents too. For what did they know? Fresh out of unbelievable poverty thrust into a middle-class lifestyle, wanting the best for their children even down to elocution lessons to get my country accent out of my voice so I'd fit in with the city folks. A voice that has served me well, thank you parents.

These thoughts come to mind as I finished off a book I wrote, editing, stroking, taking all the luxurious time to do it before I forwarded it on to a beloved to read and comment.

Beloved. Someone used it on a comment. Is there any greater word?


~~~~~~~~Sunset tonight, another freebie, thank you, Gaia~~~~~~~~

19 comments:

  1. Dear Friend - they mean it.
    And you are so blessed to have their invitations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with ya on the stuff that doesn't cost money! Cherish those invitations and the friendships behind them - pure gold dust is what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mel:
    At my late age I'm beginning to believe in myself, it took a long time, the voices I grew up with were very powerful indeed.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so nice to be a beloved and I hope you are that of someone. I don't know if I am but I don't lie awake about it much. I do have some of my own and cherish them very much. It is better to behold than to be something of someone because I already know who I am. You and I are not in the fog, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GM:
    Most days I wear the universe lightly and don't look under the rocks, but other days? Whoa Nelly!!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. Irene:
    The fog is lifting, life is good, I feel reborn with my writing and beloved of many.
    Scales slipping off. Life is good.
    You are beloved of many, Irene.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to so much of what you are saying, of not being sure of myself . It is a legacy ! And no ,they didn't know any better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. CC12:
    Oh the stories we could share, the self-perception we were given!!

    It has been extraordinarily difficult for me not to pay attention to those voices anymore!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many stories I could share.
    Wonderful to be accepted.
    I can sit on a creek bank eating
    peanut butter and crackers and love it as well as the big eating places. Maybe love it more.
    Thank you once again for your sharing....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous, gorgeous sunset photograph, WWW!! Colours are subdued and superb!

    I wish I could fit in here as well as you do there, and I'm sincerely happy for you. For me it's a hopeless case I fear, unless I were to become a God-fearing card-carrying church goer and Republican. :-( Ne'er mind, being a quasi-recluse suits me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The only light in your wilderness is Himself, T, and a great light he is.

    Have you (both, I mean) ever considered moving to another area where you might find kindred spirits?

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. For a while, before I retired, I sold fishing gear for a living and had the opportunity to meet a lot of fisher-folk all over the world. In fact, I met a couple of Canadians at an expo in Aberdeen way back in 1996. I can honestly say that I am in love with them for what they are and how they cope with the uncertainty of their lives. I always found them to be cheerful, hospitable and honest. For a seasoned and cynical salesman, that was a fitting finale to regain some faith in humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Responding to your question, WWW: I'd move to New Mexico in a heartbeat, but Himself doesn't want to move away from here. He has a daughter and a son & their families in this town. Perhaps if we were younger he'd be more willing, as it is, we're stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The invitations are blessings. I look forward to a time when I can live closer to more like-minded people. Ultimately, it's the non-material things that really matter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ramana:
    Extraordinary people, fishers. Salt in the blood as they say and working for so little most of the time.
    I see more women getting into it here too.
    I hope the fish stocks hold up.
    I'm glad you had that experience!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. T:
    New Mexico is on my bucket list, I've always been drawn to Georgia O'Keeffe' art for one but many other reasons as well. One of these years!
    A few friends and I discussed renting a house and wintering there.
    I would love to.
    Yes family is a huge draw and age can be a serious drawback too when it comes to relocating.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  17. SAW:
    Yes they are and I celebrate more and more the stuff that doesn't cost money.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your fishermen sound like genuine folks who wouldn't invite you unless they meant it. I hope you occasionally accept......
    And "beloved?" Right up there with the best words in the language!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Molly:

    I remember a list of such wonderful words, I recall symphony and wisteria but not many more.

    Oh they are salt of the earth these fishers!!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.