Monday, January 05, 2015

Words

I have a clearer understanding now of the old expression "words fail me." The inadequacy of language to convey the depth of sadness, the never-agains of death, the disbelief, the overwhelming loss, the guilty rage of the eternal screaming of WHY?

Why not? Is flung back against me. Why do we consider ourselves and our beloveds so immune from the chilly skeletal fingers of the Reaper?

I am glad I returned to Ireland. Glad I was there for family and friends. Glad I let myself be comforted by dear ones. Glad to hook up with a long lost friend who showed up at the funeral with the dim hope I'd be there.

But the enormous loss. Words are completely inadequate.

11 comments:

  1. I am sorry, much sympathy from miles away also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even grief changes, in its intensity, its depth, but while it does it changes us as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been in my thoughts every day. Take care, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely that you were there. Hard, I know, but lovely that you were.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are no words to describe how hard it is to lose a dear friend. Someday you will be more glad she lived than sad that she died.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry. Words are inadequate for expressing sympathy, too. I wish there was something helpful to say. The Universe feels awfully big, cold, and indifferent at times like these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate. I can also say "Words fail me".

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.