Monday, February 16, 2015

Bread and Butter


I love making bread. Irish soda bread, spelt bread, real honest to goodness yeast bread. As do some of you out there. With real butter. I reflect on a conversation a long time ago with my mother.

"There's a way you'll always know if someone cares about you," said my mother one time in the kitchen where she was preparing sandwiches.

"Tell me," I said, I was probably about twelve.

"You'll know by the way they butter your bread."

"What do you mean?"

"Someone who really cares about you will butter your bread right to the edges with no empty places anywhere, not even the edges."

And you know?

She was right.

7 comments:

  1. Your mother and mine must have been in th same class at school. My mother never buttered the bread... She was known for breading the butter!

    Now if I come to visit, please leave a couple of slices naked for me and the yellasthuff does not like me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was absolutely right and in India buttering up has taken on a life of its own to indicate flattering someone with lavish praise and servility. Conveyed in the vernacular it is the most beautiful insult that a toady can be given.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd agree with that. I carefully butter my husband's English muffin. And mine of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you're right and so was your mother.
    Butter to the edges, I say!
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wise saying - so very true, because I realise that I carefully butter to the edges for my loved ones (especially my grandchildren!)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.