Friday, February 20, 2015

Flashing Lights

Where Ansa is on our driveway became covered in snow a few days later so the ice underneath was not visible.

Yup. Many of those lights to write about.

(1) Flashing lights: A really, really bad fall on the ice resulting in the stars and moon in front of my eyes. Short term memory loss. Swellings on lower spine. Like the humps of a camel. Pain. Oh pain. Increased blood pressure.

(2) Flashing lights: Emblazoned on neon inside the skull - call Daughter.

(3) Flashing lights: Ambulance pulls into driveway, they check my swellings, stretcher me, put me into ambulance. Two lovely, lovely women.

(4) Flashing lights: they pull the ambulance over periodically to check my vitals, BP, sugars. I am IV'd.

(5) Flashing lights: inside hospital, overhead, on probing lights into eyes, ears. They have called ahead I am given a room in spite of other sick souls in corridor.

(6) Flashing lights: I am moved to a long steel table and my whole spine xrayed. "Sorry," says Blaine the technician,"This is very painful." "Not at all," I say back to his belly laugh, "I've given birth twice."

(7) Flashing lights: As I am released four hours later: no bones broken, tissues bruised and swollen but unbloodied. Strong bones, my doctor says, really, really strong bones. A light of overwhelming gratitude fills me. This could have been catastrophic and it wasn't.

Yeah, I hurt. Yeah, I walk like I'm 105 and I don't recognise the purple and pink and black swollen mass all over my behind and down my thighs. And I'm told this will worsen before it gets better. And I'm not sleeping well as I keep waking with pain.

BUT, so very many have it so much worse. So very much worse.

Thanks for all your kind thoughts and wishes out there. They mean so much.

12 comments:

  1. Thankfully you were picked up quickly. Take care and give the bumps & bruises time to heal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad there was no serious injury. Hidden ice is a real menace. How fortunate that you have strong bones that withstood the impact.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really glad to hear you are ok. A friend here fell on the ice with a much worse outcome. We walk very carefully all winter here and often resort to yaktrax on our boots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy, no broken bones.
    Your image is what I view.
    Home, snow, ice bound for a week.
    Ice against garage door, could not pull car out if I dared.
    and truck covered with ice.
    Rain falling, temperture higher and hopefully some ice
    and snow melt.
    Please take care, I dared not go out this time but weather in the past like this would take a chance.
    So sorry about the fall...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Glad you're okay (bruised and battered, but okay).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to read about your fall, but glad nothing is broken and you are on the mend. This winter has so many in the same predicament. When I was in the hospital for my knee replacement (2/2/15) the nurses said they were so filled with bad fall patients.
    Hoping your healing continues steadily and I do hope this winter will finally begin to moderate. We are expecting another storm today and tomorrow and the winds are viciously cold.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tsk,tsk. I've been off blogger for awhile and look what you do to yourself ! I am sure happy that you have no cracked or broken bones.Did the Docs check you for concussion?

    ReplyDelete
  8. As someone who experienced a life-changing event when he fell and broke his neck, I can commiserate with you. Get well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. EEEEEK.
    Don’t do that. Stay off the ice if you cant negotiate it safely.
    Wear spikes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unfortunately, no broken bones doesn't equate to no pain or no mobility issues, does it? I hope you recover soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are indeed very fortunate to have gotten away with ONLY bruises and soreness. I'm sure you are very grateful for those strong bones. Rest, take care of yourself, and stay off the icy driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank fully you were picked up quickly. Good :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.