Friday, February 27, 2015

Laura



I don't think I can stand anymore.

Another friend, a very dear friend, dies this afternoon after a very brief illness. Yeah, her name was Laura. I've known her for nearly 30 years. She was 14 years older than me but we spent a lot of time together. Concentrated time as she'd moved away and I'd spend weekends with her and she stayed one time with me out here on the Edge.

I spoke to her last about 10 days ago. She'd had a few health issues but was recovering beautifully.

I posted the picture of the movie up there as we both loved that movie and we each had a copy.

The memories are crowding in on me now, so very, very many. We spent a huge amount of time together and she was enormous fun, I loved her laugh. She was dedicated to the colour purple and to a husband who typified the "Long Goodbye" - he had 20 years of Alzheimer's.

She embraced technology quite late in life and I loved her cheerful emails. And her cards. She'd find a card and think of me and pretend it was my birthday and send it to me. It became a long standing joke.

I did a post about her finding and loving a son she'd given up for adoption when she was 15 - 60 years later.

And I can't find it which distresses me.

It's as if I could hold on to her longer if I found it.

14 comments:

  1. Laura is also my sister's name,and a dear friend, another Laura, is coming to visit in a few days. So sorry to learn of your loss. It's getting hard for us,too,as we lose so many friends and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We go through phases with friends falling like autumn leaves. The ones I find most difficult are the young people deprived of the chances I have had, As I said to my siblings a week or two ago as we gathered for a tragic funeral : "We are fortunate that our sibling circle is still intact". Hug the special people and heal well and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also lost a dear friend, now 8 years have past. She still comes to mind and now brings a smile thinking about her. I also lost my dear husband of 49 years in March of 2014. I still feel the emptiness but am lucky to have supportive friends and children as well as a philosophy that makes the changes in life more bearable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry to hear that. Losing two good friends in quick succession is a terrible loss. What can I say? You have to deal with it in your own way and no well-meaning platitudes from me will ease the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to heat about our friend. You've taken some hits lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sorry for your recent loss...keep on posting.... you inspire me....
    and I liked the theme from laura...which I had never heard before....thanks..............

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so very sorry to read of the loss of your friend. Your words about Laura tell just a few snippets of what sounds like the loveliest of friendships with a lot of fun mixed in, too. I know the ache must be very acute now and I send you comfort and ease in this harshest of winters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear WWW, many of your heartfelt posts make me fall silent.

    I wish I could say something useful. Yet what could I add to what you have already said? Best I can offer is conjuring up the image and comfort of going for a walk together (emphasis on side by side) - maybe in silence. Even the sound of our footsteps muted by snow.

    U

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know what to say to you. I feel so bad for all the losses you have suffered in the past few months. I cannot imagine your sadness and confusion. May peace find you and hold you in its arms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for these beautiful messages. Life is full of hills and valleys.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heartfelt condolences on the loss of this friend as well as your earlier loss. It seems too much to bear.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rough days. I think you're strong, you'll make it through; but the passage is rough. Sending you a virtual strong cup of tea, a beautiful quilted blanket for your lap, an arm about your shoulder and a nice friendly smooch on the forehead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And more lovely words. Thank you so very much.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.