Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Melange a Trois

(1)I can't imagine what life is like without some creativity or passion in it. Any creativity. One of my dear buddies now since gone, would make log cabins out of those flat icecream sticks, with a working fireplace of pebbles and the chimney lined with tinfoil and a porch with rocking chairs on the front.

Me? Well I write and knit. And yesterday I finished this massive knitting project. It took me months but now it's winging its way to Massachussets to a sweet young friend whom I wrote about here. She sent me this incredible yarnbowl, right out of the blue, when Ansa died and signed it "Sunset for Ansa".

We had one of those rare instant connections at her father's wake. The kind that sees into each other's souls. Rare enough to be treasured.

(2)Since I moved here I've had the chance to explore my personality in ways I couldn't even dream of when I lived in the metropolis. Time, the gift of time and beauty all around me frees up the mind and imagination like nothing else does. The timelessness of the ocean at my door, the salt-laden walks on the shores or in the pine drenched woods invigorates, wakes up dormant brain cells.

(3)I continue to whittle away at "stuff". Discarding 5 items a day. Should be more like 10. Attaching the words precious or important or valuable to pieces of it is dangerous. A burn barrel is where much of it is going. And the dump. I don't want any kind of clutter in my new home. I'm listing what's coming with me. And so far it's not much. Clutter is weighty and murky and has a stranglehold on the psyche. I lived that in a marital home way back and remember feeling so overwhelmed as we conducted a 3 day sale around and in the property. Given space, I will fill it. Time to let go. Of inner and outer stuff.

10 comments:

  1. Is the top picture the massive knitting project? It does not look knitted to me. More like a patchwork quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is Ramana! Thank-you. (I think!)

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    2. It is all knitted? What an amazing and beautiful project. I am ashamed to say in the same months, I have knitted about six inches of something. It's still a mystery what it is. Obviously you've been honing this skill for some decades. Such a piece. I think you need to have a showing before it's mailed off. This would be a great introduction to you, one afternoon at the new digs.

      Delete
    3. It's all knitted anon. In one piece. Thank you. I mailed it off on Monday so she should have it this week or next at the latest.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. It's amazing how many things you think you need and couldn't possibly part with, but when the chips are down and you have to prune your belongings drastically you realise how many things you can in fact easily discard. Well, I find that anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my rational moments I think like this Nick and then on my down days, like now, I'm clinging to every effing thing.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. Wow! That was a lot of lovely knitting WWW! I enlarged the photo and tried to imagine how it was done. Was it in two triangular slices which then were knitted together?

    I can imagine it starting at the point of one triangle at the top, working down, but yikes - you must have used VERY long needles for the bottom stripes. It looks great ! Congratulations. Must have been quite heavy to haul back and forth along the rows at certain points.

    That'll definitely be an heirloom piece for your young friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be an heirloom for her as she posted a picture of a beautiful moth underneath the FB picture today that she was comparing it to. (She doesn't know it's for her).

      Yes, just the one piece started from the neck down, increasing 2 in the middle and one on each edge all the way and working up to using 2 circular long needles but not knitting in the round. Size 6mm. Caps on one end of the circulars. And it was heavy on the needles but amazingly light when finished.

      Thanks my friend for the words of appreciation :)

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. I keep thinking what *other* similar but unique garments like this would bring for you on consignment at Fogo Island Inn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never enough, what is 100 hours of work worth? Then there wouldn't be time to knit for beloveds. I've tried to get subknitters working on my designs but not enough skill or interest.......

      XO
      WWW

      Delete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.