Sunday, May 27, 2018

Dis and Dat

I updated my book list for those interested - and I am gratified some of you enjoy it.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As to Canadian Netflix, it seems to have run out of steam. Deliberately, I don's subscribe to any other streaming service in case it would get in the way of my real life. So I decided to embrace my local library yet again and I'm finding all sorts of goodies which only take up temporary space in my abode. For instance, I just received "Brideshead Revisited" which I haven't seen in a dog's age and am looking forward to revisiting (ha). This is the 1981 version which I remember enjoying. I didn't see the remake and have no desire to.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And yay Ireland on the referendum and all who sailed in to cast votes from everywhere around the planet. I haven't been so emotionally swept up in a vote in a long, long time. Remembering all who suffered and died because of the barbaric nature of the Eighth Amendment to the Constitution of Ireland.


______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I had one of those "real" dreams last night. Missing Daughter had returned to the fold. Engineered by First Daughter. All terribly complicated but I was holding her and she was sobbing her heart out and wouldn't let me go. I woke up smiling and not crying which surprised me. But I carried a little oomph of hope. I have a major milestone birthday coming up and maybe this is playing some part in this. But I do know about expectations being folly. So no fatted calf or parades in anticipation.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In the past week, I banjaxed my left arm from the fingertips to the shoulder. The pain was brutal and I needed a brace. This happens periodically and we can't seem to source the cause. It feels like a repetitive sprain injury but to cover such a vast area? I've checked seating, desk height, etc. But I'm baffled. A few months ago when it happened I went for all sorts of tests and nothing was found.

22 comments:

  1. Hope the hand/arm gets all well. I too loved the 1981 Brideshead Revisited series. Not sure I would want to watch it again, though. I read the book after seeing the series and was not impressed. Funny how those things go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree DKZ, I've never been a fan of Evelyn Waugh but I did love this series and I must say the production values are still entrancing me this time around. It took 2 years to make and I'm not surprised.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. Banjaxed? Off to the dictionary I go.
    You deserve a reunion with your daughter. Your dream was one, of a sort. I think it matters; well, obviously.
    I wonder if your arm is doing something like mine was? Aching; also, shooting pains from elbow. I didn't see a doc about it. Wondered if it could be tennis elbow. Hadn't done myself any injury I was aware of. All guesswork as to causes.
    For me, wearing the arm in a sling gave quick relief.
    I recently read collected letters of Evelyn Waugh, but it's been a long, long time since I read any of his fiction. Hope you'll enjoy Brideshead Revisited.
    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to seen a osteopath, Kate to see if it can be sorted. It is baffling. Bothers me when driving or sitting in front of the computer. I tried different chairs same result.

      The aches are deep all the way from fingertips to shoulder.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. I just loaded a bunch of stand up comic specials and funny movies into my Netflix queue in anticipation of a need to laugh while convalescing.

    I was so pleased to hear about the Ireland vote, especially those who traveled back just to cast their vote to allow women the right to govern their own bodies. I need the reminder that not everyone has gone insane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem that there are places in the world that are more normal than the United sTates right now. I too was pleased with the women going back to have their voice heard.

      Delete
    2. Yes, truly heartening SAW. Good idea on loading up on the funnies. Dave Letterman has some interesting interviews also, a new series.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    3. DKZ I think it gave a good jolt to women everywhere. Our rights are threatened constantly, most recently by a Trump Redux running for provincial premier here in Ontario Canada. He looks like 45 and spews like 45 and the men are loving him.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Your brace looks like the one I used to wear before carpal tunnel surgery! Hope your arm improves! Ireland has changed a lot in the last couple of decades, glad they are finally fixing a terrible wrong. The referendum result is a sea change. Right now I am thinking of getting Netflix so I keep asking people what they think of it. I guess I just have to try it and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has some great series Annie and the price is right. Lately they've been having series which irritates me no end as I lose the plot in between the two week gaps. And Canada is limited in what we get but worth investigating.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. Had same problem was from lifting my body pushing off with my arm from bed, that stopped pain stopped...anything using your arm to leverage your body weight will do it...getting in and out of your car, up and down stairs, while cooking, showering etc any repetitive movement that is made often...good luck figuring it out took me awhile, don't give up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did check that out anon but don't believe it applies. My bed is highish and also my car (Yaris) is elder-friendly for access, being high.

      It could be a bad sitting posture, it's so weird.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. Have you thought about visiting an OT or PT? I hope things get righted quickly. so glad to hear of the result in Ireland and for women standing up for themselves. Best to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, an osteopath is on the list. I know, thrilling referendum in Ireland.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. Thanks for your book list ... I'll find a few new ones for myself, for sure. But you didn't like Woman in the Window? It had me on the edge of my chair. Anyhow ... good luck with that arm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Tom, Woman had a lot of hype but failed to deliver IMO but many of my friends loved it too.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. Thanks for teaching me another word - banjaxed! It could be fibromyalgia. I have this problem and it took a while for it to be diagnosed. Any way, there is nothing that can be done about it. So, I have been told to grin and bear it unless I want to keep taking increasingly more powerful pain killers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's tough Ramana, pain is such a sucker of energy and outlook. And no one needs mind altering pain killers for sure.

      It may be fibro. All options on the table.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. The Irish referendum result was extraordinary. Nobody expected such a resounding Yes vote. Unfortunately the diehard politicians in Northern Ireland are still resisting any legal changes. But the British government may be able to act under Human Rights legislation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NI has baffled me with their resistance for women's autonomy, I expect the Old Diehards are still in control. At least NI women can cross the border now for services.

      Oh the irony. Indeed.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. Such great news from Ireland, WWW! Wisdom returns! I hope your painful arm quickly returns to normal, or at least that you find a helpful remedy.

    Fingers crossed for you on the missing daughter front! I've always been confident it would happen one day, as it did for husband and his once missing daughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your good thoughts T. As long as she is happy, that would mean a lot but she is prone to depression which is the worry for me.

      Yes I do recall you telling me about Himself and his missing daughter. Lovely that they reconnected.

      XO
      WWW

      Delete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.