Saturday, September 19, 2026

Grim Reaper Time.

I don't think this is going to be a morbid post. Just merely a reflection of the last few months. As I age, I lose many people I care about or have good memories with.

In the last 4 weeks alone I have lost 3, 2 of my personal friends and one a dear blog friend many of you know.

I have written about the first two and not about the blog friend.


Joanne was known to many of us, she was a creative and an activist. She was brave and committed to family, raising her grandchildren, carefully balancing her budget, and making life decisions which inspired many of us. Particularly when she moved into an assisted senior living apartment with her big loom and her cowardly cat. I remember we wrote to each other about that particular transition when I was faced with a similar conundrum of selling up my beloved property and moving into an independent senior living building.

Her voice was loud when she saw injustice of any kind and she had many health challenges. She bought herself another car but then didn't hesitate to admit the mistake of this and promptly sold it. She continued working that loom and marketing her wonderful towels (I have a few and gifted quite a few) which are everlasting. Her struggles were tough in the last couple of years and blogging became sporadic.

She was blessed, as I am, with a caring daughter who watched out for her and helped when necessary.

These caring daughters should, honestly, get medals. I know her Beth (she always called her "My Beth" ) was a huge comfort to her.

I will miss you dear Joanne. I always looked forward to your posts and your adventures in the markets where you sold your goodies.

A bright star for many of us as you navigated your challenges, your hopes and your dreams.

"Rest Aisy" as we say back home. You were one of a kind.


12 comments:

  1. I felt like I found Joanne late in the game. She was already living in her mobile home when I found her blog. Still working, though. I remember some of her stories about her job and the office. Her sweet granddaughter was living with her. Oh, how I miss her posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Delaine, I was telling my daughter about her today as she also had one of Joanne's towels. We went into senior living at around the same time and shared our experiences. I always remember her telling me about the bedroom she created in a closet so she could accommodate her huge loom.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. She was a real force of nature, an inspiration to us all, fiercely independent with a social conscience that never slept. The world will miss her. May her memory be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a blessing indeed David. I miss her so much. She was a generous spirit and brave in the face of all her difficulties. Not an unkind bone in her body.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. I completely agree! I so enjoyed her spark...and I hope all her fam and friends are okay...Hugs to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be so hard on them all e, she was a force of nature. Deeply missed.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. I'm so sorry for the loss of Joanne, and for the friends you have lost in these last weeks. The picture you paint of her, the loom in the closet bedroom, the everlasting towels and her devotion to her family, is a lovely tribute. Thank you for sharing her with us, and I'm sending you warm thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diana, we never get over our losses, do we. Each one hurts but their memories sustain us in so many ways. She was a precious one to many.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. I didn't follow Joanne's blog but saw her comments on those of others. It hurts when someone dies, even someone we've never met, doesn't it? A lot of people don't understand that. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We get close to them especially in personal interactions. Joanne and I were exactly the same age with many health challenges and unfortunately she had some unlucky breaks at the end. One an undiagnosed tumour on her lung. It took her quickly and I am so grateful for that. We just never know, do we?
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. Joanne lived not far from me. Always enjoyed reading her comments on the injustices here in Ohio and how she fought them. And yes, her daughter was an absolute blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was quite the activist when she had the energy Elle, a real power of example to many with her protests and her placards. She is so admired and missed.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.