Wednesday, September 16, 2026

Is Blogging Dead?

 I wonder about that. I look at my RIP list on my sidebar of bloggers now gone to the great beyond and am staggered at their number.

A few of us oldies are left. Many have also fled to Substack and I am giving that some serious thought. I do subscribe to a few, mainly in the political sphere so I don't feel so alone in this frightening stage of planet earth with AI running amok (rogue they call it) and threatening all human existence. And of course, while ignoring the only crisis that matters: climate change.

I live out here on a remote island which most have forgotten. We're off the beaten track and kinda hard to get to, which is a good thing if you talk to any Newfoundlander. 

I posted a photo of a scene close to my home in St. John's last night on Bluesky, and within a half hour it had 1,000 likes; this morning it was cracking 3,000. I let the photographer know, as I had given him full credit for the photo. Here it is:

This was taken at sunrise by Greg Follett looking out over our gorgeous harbour. The comments were full of longing. And I get it. I made one of the biggest changes in my life when I moved here nearly 25 years ago. And I have never regretted it.

I look down the live list of bloggers and fewer are posting. I remember even five or six years ago allowing nearly an hour to catch up on all my bloggers and now it's maybe 10 minutes. 

Anyone out there have thoughts on this?

Your giggle of the day👇👇 


And another one of President Connolly of Ireland giving the Felon the smallest desk she could find and having the entire press corps photograph him. 👇👇







15 comments:

  1. I re-wrote a very similar piece today, it will go live tomorow. I'm ending on a more positive note. I do understand why people love that photo - and why you moved there.
    Recently blogrolls are not updting in Blogger, so fewer posts and visits could be linked to this. I haven't seen any of your September posts in my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the Old Reader for blog post updates and in all the years it's never let me down. I will check your post Charlotte and am looking forward to it. I do wonder about the future of blogging. And miss all those who have gone before us.
      I'm an ancient blogger now and I think you were one of the first I followed way back when.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. Blogger is not helping right now, with this interminable and inexplicable delay in fixing the problem of new posts not being sent to the reading list. It is now eight days without a solution and it is getting very frustrating. I am not familiar with Substack. I will have to take a look at it.
    Very best wishes - David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd do well there David with your specialities. I was going to start one on aging. I'm still a bit on the fence as this blog is ancient now I believe 25 years I started it when I lived in Toronto. That RIP list of great bloggers now passed really affected me the other day.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. If you read my blog post I have posted alternative solutions for following blogs. I hope it helps. (a soon to be 70 year old retired lady living in Montreal, Canada who just wants to spread positivity in peoples' day). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the Old Reader does a great job and I've had it for more years than I can count. Thanks Linda.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
    2. This is the one I am using now, just got it a few days ago. Thank you so much for your feedback.

      Delete
  4. That is a great photo and well worth enlarging. The sign is clever, AI I guess. The Irish President is looking very patient, an excellent fake display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Irish President photo was genuine and caused a ton of laughter in Ireland. Cutting him down to size, LOL.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. I'm still writing. And reading. I do miss so many of the blogs I once read on a daily basis, and so many who still blog, do so only occasionally. I am staying home today and plan to write and post. We have been busy here with a variety of chores and medical appointments for us and the cats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think we shared many blog reads - so many now gone. I always welcomed information as to what happened and some family members have supplied it. We get very close to our blog-buds over the years.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. Blogging is the only social media I like. I do have FB but do not put a lot there and have been trashing my content there bit by bit. I do understand about past bloggers but as people are still blogging, I keep going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thinking e, I will carry on blogging too though Substack keeps drawing me in too. I ask myself what my objective is, and really I don't have any. My other writing gets published which I like, and really blogging is often just a sideline of my lifelong journaling.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. I remember discovering you when you had your B&B, and reading about your life there with your sweet Ansa. I loved looking in, so much. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate, that's quite a while ago now, a lovely section of my life that I look back on with joy. I miss my Ansa so much. She was a constant companion and beloved by all.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.