Sunday, July 31, 2022

So on and so forth


 

I get these messages.

I get it. I really do. As I might have, in my past, being equally guilty of these kind of projectional questions to friends who were ill.

Following are the questions, followed by the real questions friends/acquaintances might be covering up.

"You must be better by now". i.e. for gawd's sake if you're not, stop malingering.

"Still your legs?" i.e. that's a hell of a long time to have your legs betraying you.

I've stopped explaining it's my entire body and its innards and I must have a world record for lack of sleep because, you know, disbelief reigns if I even mention it.

Because I've been so long on the medical treadmill and all the tests, some are giving up on me. I hear that. I don't dare ask for more that 1 item on my grocery list to be picked up. This week it was bread. I wanted to get two loaves but didn't dare ask as my friend who volunteers for me has massive handicaps of her own and is in constant pain.  I am feeling like my own nuisance that I wrote about.

I am so grateful to Daughter who comes in faithfully every couple of weeks - she's living way off, 2 hours away from here. That's 4 hours of driving plus picking up items for me, bank (cash) groceries, library, drug store at times and driving my car to make sure it's running. Other essential errands. And she has her own medical challenges (MS).

Grandgirl can hardly wait to get here in a few weeks so she can help me negotiate my life.

  • There is so much wrong with me that for the first time I'll list everything here:
  • Weekly lab work due to high potassium levels and monitoring of 50% under-performing kidneys. My doc calls me "the pin cushion." Funny not funny.
  • Extreme pain due to arthritis in my back exacerbated by a bad fall about 6 years when I was concussed after a spine shattering fall on the ice. 
  • Pulmonary vascular disease in my legs.
  • Far too frequent high blood pressure bouts and breathlessness  due to elevated something (forget what). Creatin? Not sure.
  • Occasional white light blindness when my chronic anaemia kicks in for a go at me and my iron plummets.
  • Far too many hospital procedures, I've had it up to here with tests which basically show nothing can be done. 
  • Blindness in my right eye brought on by one terrible procedure where because of my kidneys I couldn't get an anaesthetic. Ophthalmologist baffled.
  • I can't lie down due to terrible pain. I have morphine but am reluctant to take it due to developing an immunity and also I don't want to feel half-corked.
  • At night I try to lie on my bed with 3 pillows for a couple of hours but give in and go to recliner where in a pretzel-like position I attempt sleep, usually failing. This has been going on for three months.
  • Due to unseasonable and awful record breaking heat here I had to suspend physiotherapy as it would have been dangerous. Old women are at mortal risk in this heat as their hormones have reduced sweating ability. And no, our province is not equipped for heat like this, thus no air-conditioning. Thanks once again climate change.
  • Every expenditure of energy is an effort due to the afore mentioned challenges. The Spoon Theory holds fast for me.
  • Doc has been ill and my meds  have been screwed up. This takes a huge stress toll on me, explaining it all to the pharmacist who is now God. When one is exhausted, stress is like the final straw. I am sure I whimper now and again.
So one long whingey whine here. I'm truly having a terrible day and this might cheer you up, thanking your stars that things looks a bit sunnier for you. Far too many of my blog friends stopped writing when they were ill. I understand that. I miss them. But I also miss the absence of how they were dealing with it. Or not.
And no, "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life," by Monty Python is terribly unhelpful unless you're a saint.





24 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear your lament and with no end in sight. It must be quite discouraging. You have every right to whine. Sure hope you can find some bright light in there somewhere to give you a moment of joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DKZ, I decided to let it all out today, feeling woefully sorry for myself. And I feel fractionally better rather than doing a Pollyanna on it all. Our challenges are real and sometimes feel so insurmountable. But there is always hope if we catch it while it flies by.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. It is a hard road you are travelling and just to feel a bit better I am sure would help. It takes a strong person to go on in your situation. Do try to distract yourself and yes, it is not easy when in constant pain. Blogs are just a wonderful place to vent your thoughts and tell the truth about how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrew. I will continue blogging and not abandon it like so many did before the final curtain. Some told me privately they were embarrassed, others didn't want their families to know how bad everything was, etc.
      Eff it all I say.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. "I am sure I whimper a bit now and then." I'd be doing a LOT more than whimpering. There'd be moaning and groaning and maybe some door slamming and I would give in and take the morphine, maybe half a dose at night so I could sleep. I wish you could get some airconditioning somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you point for point up to can't lie down for terrible pain. Neither could I, if not for my lovely opiod I just took. I've been on it for three of four years. I tried a patch for a month, but it was useless and I begged them to go back to the opiod. I'm 79; I'll die sooner than later, but not much sooner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much Joanne, I am nervous with the opioids as is my doc, but like you, I am facing 79 soon and seriously what harm? I can't truly see myself under a bridge with a needle in my arm at this stage. For one, I couldn't get there in my present condition, *hollow laugh*.
      I do hope life looks up for us both.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  5. Hi I have been reading but not commenting. But this post i believe speaks volumes. You need more help with day to day care than what you are receiving, I don't know the medical system where you live and know you have been on that treadmill for a while but when asking someone to pick up an extra loaf of bread is not possible something needs to give, Joanne speaks to a valid point...there is most often a compromise in taking opiods in the correct dosage that does more good than harm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ain't - I guess it takes a reader like you for me to realize this is not so good. I'm always on the edge of stress of running out of essential supplies. I do make lists. I may have to get more help than I realize. One of my challenges is I am quite private and would hate a daily helper marching through my home. I find even the once a fortnight help I get is intrusive enough. Even though she is wonderful. I'll revisit the opioid situation.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. I understand what you are saying.
    I have chronic pain and unless one lives it they can’t possibly understand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anon, chronic pain is a complete and utter bummer.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. My best wishes that you come out of this present state of mind at the earliest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping, Ramana, but pain and exhaustion does exhaust every single bone in the body. And batters the equilibrium of the mind.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. You need to go to a nursing home. You should not be living alone. Either a home or hire a fulltime caregiver to help you. Don't dawdle. Do it, Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gigi, thank you for the advice, but I wasn't looking for advice in my post. I am well able to make decisions on my own about my own welfare. And I will continue to do that.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. Doctors have no business being ill! This always messes up something vital that nobody else really understands. Thanks for the truth! Whining is the way out for desperate cases. Please keep on keeping on - and write about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truth, Charlotte, LOL. Doc still sounded sick today but I gently guided him in the right direction with my meds. I am feeling much better today having laid it all out there as much as for me as for readers.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  10. Write when you can and thank you for your candor. Sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you E and thank you also for your own honesty.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  11. That's a lot to deal with and especially when there is no end in sight.
    I'm not sure an opiate addiction would be a bad thing in the circumstances............
    hang in there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kylie. Today is a bit of a better day.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  12. I'm sorry to hear of so many medical problems, and so much pain and discomfort. I wish I had some miracle cure to hand you but I haven't. I can only commend your daily struggle not to be defeated by it all but to still have some sort of rewarding life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick, I just thought to lay it all out there in case others are similarly afflicted in just throwing their feet on the floor in the morning and facing another day.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  13. Sure wish you didn't have to deal with all that. I find it hard to deal with some of my issues but somehow we cope as best we can like you are doing. Glad you have family able to assist some and neighbor to do even a little. Most people are pleased to help anyway they can I think.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.