Friday, August 05, 2022

What's Next USA?


I was flabbergasted to see many of my USian female friends post the above as their profile picture on Facebook today.

The comments were chilling. Many considering sterilizing procedures, their husbands considering vasectomies. Others stockpiling birth control methods. Others putting out words for friends who need abortions. Canada is taking in droves of them at the moment and offering services free of charge.

And then I thought, of course. The Handmaid's Tale, long predicted by Margaret Atwood (a Canadian) has arrived and this is how it arrives.

It's 2022, I keep reminding myself and rights are being removed in the country to the south of us by a positively evil misogynistic Supreme Court who are planning to take away the rights of gays next and have gleefully announced it.

All this trailing back to the rapist and racist they put in power in 2016. One who promised he would take his revenge on every woman who rejected him. A psychopath, fraud, grifter and grafter - who will never be charged for all the criminal acts he performed before, during and after his election. His (paid?) fall guys will take it all on the chin for him. Because that's how a mafia works.

Meanwhile, this is all a great distraction for a country burning  up or flooding catastrophically while racist cops stop and sometimes kill  those who drive or walk while black, and AK47 wielding 18 year olds kill random children in schools as the cops cower outside, afraid. And enshrined by the NRA is the right to bear such weapons, concealed or not. And Monkey Pox declared a national health emergency.  And in the midst of this, the speaker of their house marches off and pokes the beast that is China.

All this while climate change is the only item that should be on the agenda of the USA - the worst polluters on the planet.

/end rant 

17 comments:

  1. I watch in horror and despair - not least because of the numbers of people with power who are encouraged by these moves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dystopian times for sure EC, a complete and utter horror show.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. You know what I am really afraid of? The people following the rapist and racist of 2016 will make him look like a boy scout! DeSantis of Florida for one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was me above

      Delete
    2. It's entirely possible Ain't. I am terrified for all the good people I know not driven by this crazy jingoism of MAGA as if there will be a piece of the trillion dollar capitalist pie for them.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. It seems to me you're the only one noticing that: "All this while climate change is the only item that should be on the agenda of the USA - the worst polluters on the planet." Something has to be done, not only by USA, but by all countries using too many of the world's ressources, and preferably yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's just so much in this confluence of terror around the globe - food shortages for another, endless pandemic variants, etc. But I often think concentrated efforts by all countries in ending or halting climate change is the solution to so much that's so frighteningly wrong on our planet right now.
      Fossil fuels have got to be abolished and that can't be immediate enough.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. CO2 Emissions - China #1, US #2, India #3...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, no visa for you to go south. I am pleased you expressed that with a degree of anger. The time for despair is passing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I'm on their no fly list already Andrew - and I'm not joking, I did post about it somewhere here years ago.
      I'm completely enraged on behalf of my friends who are begging to get out of there.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  6. I'm for sticking it. We've overcome and can do it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope so Joanne, though the signs are grim but Biden is doing his best.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  7. "pokes the beast that is China" There's a scary thought. At least you are a bit further away from China than we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure are rattling the chains of war with all those exercises, River. That's all we need.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  8. Trump derangement syndrome on display here

    ReplyDelete
  9. You certainly hit most of the negatives many of us U.S. folks are alarmed about. All is not yet lost as I am encouraged that more and more of our citizens are becoming committed to correcting the listed items. This is no short term task but I'm not ready to think all is lost. As for our Speaker of the House visiting Taiwan, I was wholly supportive of her stop there for a variety of reasons I won't go into, but there may be something to be said for observing reactions to the event of all concerned.

    Democracy vs autocracy is at risk around the world and even our U.S. northern neighbors will not be immune in these years ahead though appear to be a refuge now. That said, I have reviewed citizenship requirements and my passport is current. Perhaps I should research our family members reported to have gone north of our border contrary to their brothers who fought in support of the revolution those decades ago.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.