Thursday, October 14, 2010

Breaking into Bliss


What a lovely sentence I heard on the radio driving home tonight.

"Breaking into Bliss". Freeman Patterson was being interviewed at length on CBC and this is what he said when he described moments of acute observation and feeling joyful with one's world. He has survived many challenges and pain.

And it got me to thinking of when we reach that other side of pain, we earn those stripes of bliss. I truly believe we can only break into bliss if we know what deep dark pain is.

Tonight, I was at Easy Down Easy, a play by Gordon Pinsent when I broke into bliss myself.

Thinking: by gum, I'll be joining Gordon soon in this playwriting thing.

8 comments:

  1. and I can't wait to hear about this journey of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, you go girl! Pinsent Walsh and WWW!

    I'd a loved to have been a fly on the wall when Walsh and Pinsent were creating this play, that must have been quite something...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see that play. Almost as much as I'd love to see your play. Any chance of a national tour??

    (Seems your wordcaptcha is no match for the spambots this time around!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcia:
    Should be interesting!
    Anon:
    You could improve your grammar a bit when commenting on my oh so frequent posts about plastic, though 'some good' is a Newfoundland expression I doubt if that is the context in which you use it.
    Annie:
    A dream, eh?
    Tessa:
    The play was a trifle disappointing actually, I did not engage with any of the characters and Mary trimmed it from 90 to 47 minutes, not enough time to develop it, I thought.
    Acting was amazing. H'm 5 out of 10...
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, 'breaking into bliss' is a lovely phrase to express an emotion all too rarely felt.
    I shall try and remember it, perhaps that'll make me more aware of bliss when it hits me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bliss is a funny thing. Like happiness, it suddenly appears when we least expect it. Nothing we can do to bring it about, all we can do is savour it when it knocks on the door.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Friko:
    I think most people are incapable of it. I used the phrase in mixed company last night and there were a lot of raised eyebrows and no nods!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick:
    Well said my friend, totaly true!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.