Monday, October 14, 2013

Putting it Out There.

When I put stuff out there, it nearly always comes back. I'm talking nice stuff. I try not to do nasties to anyone, but sometimes I can be a blithering idiot and hurt people without knowing it, know what I mean. Vestiges of my own insecurities still rearing their butts up to fart in my face. Graphic, sorry. But true. Don't tell me you're perfect? Oh sorry, of course you are. My bad.

So after this massive road race, well massive to me, I wrote this article for the newspaper about how us stragglers are considered a nuisance in these events. All hail is given to the Chosen Few who do 20 miles in 20 minutes. Well, I exaggerate slightly. Water stations get taken down after the Chosen Few have passed and even the roads are returned to the vehicular masses and then us stragglers get shoved on to dangerous, cracked and heaving sidewalks with traffic lights and by now angry motorists who have had to delay their important doings by a couple of hours and view us as handy targets on pedestrian crossings for their rage.

So this Really Important Person contacts me and says, I loved your article, I agree with you and all you said in your article, and hey, let's meet and brainstorm and enlist a whole big gaggle of us oldies/physically challenged, etc., and storm the bloody race next year in FULL GEAR, they don't know who and what they're messing with, right?

Hell, I said meekly, YEAH!!!




21 comments:

  1. Isn't that always the way? You do something with good intentions and they rear up (sorry ;) and challenge you. Well, now I can't wait to read about next year's race and resulting article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pauline:

    I think we should have been double-medalled. Seriously honoured for sticking it out with all those challenges the Chosen Few didn't have.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ramana:

    Tongue in cheek, my friend. I was yelling :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know the stragglers were treated like that. A pretty mean attitude to people who just want to have a bit of exercise and fun. Good idea to storm the next race en masse and make them rethink their behaviour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go get ‘em, girl.

    Watch out for the push bikes, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who can say no to a Really Important Person? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe you have to start training for that race now, WWW, and make sure you are at least at the front of all those stragglers. Make sure you have really good running shoes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick:

    that's the plan. For a host of reasons.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Friko:

    Funny that, I didn't see any pushbikes, but wheelchairs and racing strollers.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Irene:

    Oh I have, still training and the best of shoes. I learned that in my racing days, most foot/leg joint injuries are caused by cheap ill-fitting shoes.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Grey Pride is alive and kicking in the uk? Is your neck of the woods in need of a branch? ;- )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds fabulous! Most good athletes are nice about stragglers, but the ones who aren't are pills. Injuries upon them, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you are going to start to train before you attempt it! I'd love to be able to say I'd join you!
    Maggie x

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laura:

    We want to be more all encompassing than just the greys. any slow movers can join us :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hattie:

    It's the organizers who are the problem, other runners, etc. are usually pretty accommodating to us slowies.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. SAW:

    You must joing our club and get the T-shirt - and the hat :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maggie:
    I've been training since March and completed this year's race. This is what has instigated the movement for more acceptance of the stragglers.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't see how that article has come back to fart in your face, sounds more like your rallying call has been heard. Good going.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.