Saturday, October 12, 2013

Calming Crafting


I sometimes wonder why others don't take up pursuits that would bring them relief from anxiety or sorrow and gift them with diligence, curiosity, utilization of imaginative powers, relaxation, focus, and best of all something tangible to show for it at the end of it all.

The above afghan took me a while. One of those projects I started and shelved and moved on from and moved back to. I'm one who can't sit down and do nothing while gawping vacantly at a screen. I enjoy DVD sets of various top-notch shows, admittedly much later than everyone else who have cable service and derive a "buzz" that is engendered around a successful series during its original broadcast. But I also don't suffer the barrages of advertisements they endure either.

I finished this afghan, pictured above, while watching the second series of "Homeland" one of those truly great shows.

Whenever I see one of my creations in someone's home, I often reflect on what I was doing when making it, what TV series or movies I watched with it, what marathon phone calls attended its making, what gorgeous sunny strand was I banjed off on or what beloved family members' conversations took place around it or what trips and visits it made with me.

This one will be gifted tomorrow, appropriately enough on Canadian Thanksgiving. I have I-corded (a form of 3-dimensional embroidery I kind of invented) the initials of the couple on each end. They've been married 45 years (from their teen years) and are one of those couples that engender warmth, respect and love around each other and those who are lucky enough to be in their circle.

Like me.

17 comments:

  1. That's beautiful and I'm sure they'll love it. I also like to do things while I watch a show, but at this stage in my life it's usually accounting or other work for my practice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do beautiful work, what a georgeous afghan. The couple are very lucky to receive such a gift. So nice they have endured the joy of making a marriage work.
    Happy Thanksgiving weekend to you.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely and oh yes, very intricate and enviable. I can knit. Note, I did not say I *do* knit. I love to wear wool but knitting it splits my fingertips. Strangely.

    And I get lost. Mind you knit knit knit is a lovely stitch pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought the most beautiful knitted jacket and matching hat in a raspberry colour in Dublin in the 90s by "one of Chloe's". Your gorgeous afghan reminds me of the intricate pattern. What a talent you have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do beautiful work, WWW, and I hope that it is appreciated very much by the couple you are giving it to. I hope they realize what effort you put into it and what memories it already holds. I can appreciate this because my mother used to make craftwork like this and I know how much love goes into it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely. As you say, an activity like that can be very soothing and comforting. I'm not a multi-tasker myself though, I have to focus on one thing at a time or all sorts of disasters occur....

    ReplyDelete
  7. OWJ:

    You have many different talents. We all do.

    it's a question of finding them.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. SAW:

    I hope you take time to just be and light the candle of your spirit now and again :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Cheri, same to you. Yes, they were over the moon when they got it. It was very gratifying to see my creation be so appreciated.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anon:

    Thank you!

    You might try silk and cotton, easier on the hands.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pamela:

    Thank you. I get such joy out of making these creations and give just about all of them away :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Irene. Yes, they do, One of the guests did ask me how much time and when I said 120 hours approximately they all gasped. 120 hours of love.

    My friends are very appreciative and it was loved up and stroked by everyone there, including the men.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nick:

    I think our ladybrains are wired a little differently. At one point I could read a book while doing intricate Aran work but aging has taken care of that special skill:). I am grateful I can still watch challenging TV series and knit or sew.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - they will treasure it!

    How right you are that everyone should discover a past time which brings them relief from their cares and woes. I feel a blog posting coming on!

    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Laura:

    They were rather overwhelmed with it and kept stroking it like it was alive. I was tremendously pleased.

    I just knew it found a home that would love (and use) it to pieces :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Laura:

    They were rather overwhelmed with it and kept stroking it like it was alive. I was tremendously pleased.

    I just knew it found a home that would love (and use) it to pieces :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.