Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Winter's Arrival

Behind me

The cold fingers of winter stir around me. I bank the fire high. And look out the window at the racing blue water, white-capped, while some lingering foolish lupines on the banks of the road bob in the now brisker more serious gusts, reluctant to shed the last vestiges of their summer azure.

Leo hauls down more wood from the lot way over the top of the back hill. The barn is full. We have more than enough, I think securely. Not enough yet, says Leo, you forget we need enough for eight months of stove. Eight months of stove, I think. How comforting the rhythm of those words. How comforting indeed that Leo has the wood management skills that I lack.

For it is here. Every year, and particularly in this past glorious Indian Summer, I think: winter will creep in unnoticed. Before we know it.

Oh, we know it alright.

It has arrived in a sunlit fanfare of multi-coloured leaves flying off the trees and the chilling white foam of the waves pounding noisily on the beach stones.

In front of me

14 comments:

  1. You are fortunate to have a fuel supply so close to home. Enjoy the winter warmth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrr!! Don't think my old bones could stand it.
    I do miss winter coziness, though. The book, the hot drink, the shawl...it is kind of romantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may get to that point Hattie I've always disliked hot dayss. They exhaust me...

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. Our leaves are falling very late this year. They're usually pretty much gone by the end of September but right now there are still trees that have shed virtually nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, no, your climate would be purgatory for me. I don't expect to light the wood stove for another month at least.

    So glad you are all ready for what winter throws at you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has turned cold the last few days
    or rather cold to my old bones.
    Oh
    how miss my wood stove
    and so much wood stacked outside
    that visitors would comment
    "are you going to burn all that wood"
    can I be envious

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, you too? We've an inch of snow on the ground and more 'showers' forecast. It'll not stick for long. Not yet. But soon.
    The wood stove's roaring; the outdoor furnace blasts heat through our registers. We're cosy. Let it come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't tell you how much I miss an open fire. But it has been disconcertingly mild here for the time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick:

    My maples are still loaded too.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pamela:
    Seems like fall is back today, damp warm drizzle and I let the fire die out. :)
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. OWJ:

    A nuisance though when you don't have someone to do the work like I have and I wonder how long more as he is getting old too. This year had to get another elder to help him.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  11. RJA:

    What a lovely life you are living now. A most fortuitous change!

    Welcome to the woodpile!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stan:

    I hear that from my homies, but not so warm in Dublin.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.