Thursday, October 10, 2013

Blog Jam



I was immeasurably delighted recently to receive an email from a 90+ year old uncle who has recently embraced the web. I have long wondered as to his whereabouts and distance from our tribe but am overjoyed in this day and age that we can reach out and touch long vanished family members and friends. And so easily.

How wonderful it is that our US neighbours are finally getting what we have long taken for granted here and in many other countries: health care not tied to personal wealth or status. Declaring personal bankruptcy or dying because of the cost of life-saving cancer treatments or surgeries or "pre-existing" conditions is completely unacceptable for any citizen of any so-called civilized country.

My potatoes were harvested by a good friend today (pictured above). My own potatoes. Thrilled doesn't cover it.

Indian Summer continues unabated in this enchanted land out here on the edge of the Atlantic. Smiley faces everywhere and shorts-wearing runners. Oh, yeah.

15 comments:

  1. Nothing like your own potatoes.
    I have had them in the past.
    Seems anything you grow yourself
    taste wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we could grow potatoes. We eat yams instead.
    Most of the potatoes we get imported are GMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OWJ

    Only for the help I got they wouldn't be here at all :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hattie:

    I think yams are a little better for you, I could be wrong there :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your spuds, missus! Now all you need is to make the butter to go with them! ;)

    PS Yams are better for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't congratulate us yet - the right is fighting the ACA tooth and nail. It makes me ill that so many people here are so vocally against fair health coverage.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The battle has not been won yet in your neighbourhood on health care. I have been following the situation from the time of Michael Moore's Sicko and am not sure that they will get their act together yet.

    I wish I had a garden where I too could grow some, any vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry but its a myth that yams are healthier than potatoes - its how you prepare them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ;) What do you think Wise Web Woman?

    Growing one's sense of style in elder years: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWKTfqivbRQ#t=141

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Republicans are still trying hard to sabotage the Affordable Care Act and perpetuate their entrenched belief that healthcare should be paid for, even if you have no money. But I think Obama will eventually see them off.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "the Affordable Care Act" now there friend is a perfect example of a misnomer.

    "You start with a law roughly 2,000 pages long, cobbled together largely by lobbyists for the insurance and medical industries, both of them hideous rackets" JHK

    The retards on the Left have elected an empty suit half-black to the White house, while the fools on the right bicker amongst themselves. God help our country.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Home grown potatoes are the best and I wish I could grow them myself. I hope you enjoy eating yours. I am ignoring the last comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I'm surprised to see a racist here on your blog! That's unfortunate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Secret Agent Woman said...

    Wow, I'm surprised to see a racist here on your blog! That's unfortunate."

    Dang Secret Agent Women, that's all you got out of my post, eh? Poor thing...

    ReplyDelete
  15. that's fantastic news re your uncle! Shall you be able to meet soon?

    Yes, I've just been eating our home grown potatoes. Yum.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.