Thursday, December 18, 2014

Together


I get more charge out of spring, more bang out of the changing amber colours of autumn.

No, I'm not a Christmas fan. And truth to tell, never have been. In that way of things I made up for my lack of enthusiasm when my children were small. I'd have loads of people in, gallons of drink and food, hundreds of gifts stacked up against the blinking lights of the tree. And I'd still feel empty and try and fill the emptiness with alcohol, feeling defective and wondering what the eff was wrong with me anyway. As if all could be resolved and I'd be happy and jolly if only I could find the right button to push within myself.

Years later now and I do have the answer. I don't join in the merrymaking hysteria around me, the carts pouring out of Walmart and Costco loaded down with Chinese tat, grumpy, cranky faces at the helm, glaring at the world. Yeah, that was me. I can relate.

Now it's all very simple. Grandgirl has flown out here to the edge for 8 days and we (Daughter, Grandgirl, me, Ansa the dog and Sam the cat) will just spend it quietly, mainly in front of the fires in each others' places. Exchanging meaningful small gifts on Solstice and just hanging.

Together.

Together is such a powerful word.


12 comments:

  1. We had our togetherness last weekend, it was good, Very Good. Plenty of chat and teasing, useful gifts, a nice meal. then the glow of the fire to warm our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GM:
    Proper t'ing as we say out in these parts. the only way to spend it :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. right there with you regarding what has been shared.
    hopefully near family will be with me Christmas Eve
    if they can avoid the flu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The overblown hype around Christmas is quite absurd. Especially the idea that we'll all be beaming with happiness as we stuff ourselves with food and drink. I think most people secretly dread Christmas, despite the smiling masks they put on. They hate the expense, the over-indulgence, the excruciating Christmas parties, the enforced proximity of detested relatives and all the rest of it. Jenny and I will just be having a quiet Christmas on our own without any over-the-top nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Same here, good grub in front of log fire.....bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. to be quiet, to be contemplative, to wait, to be comforted, to give kindness to others…that is Christmas to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OWJ:

    I hope flu won't throw the Christmas spirit out the door on you :(

    all the best dear friend :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick:
    "enforced proximity of detested relatives" Oh my love that phrase indeed!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pamela:
    the only way, isn't it. I remember only those special times in front of fire with a chosen few. The big crowds are long deleted apart from the occasional frisson of horror at the intruding memory :)

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice to enjoy the Solstice being with those you love and sitting before the fire. Tranquility.-- barbara

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best part of it for me is definitely having my kids here. The presents part of it is minimal and we don't go overboard.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.