Friday, August 21, 2015

Fooled

Maybe it's my age, having lived looooong but today I was caught completely unawares at my hairdresser's. I think I wrote about her place before. An old Victorian house in St. John's. All artifacts preserved, fire places, chandeliers, crown mouldings. A darling place with stairs running everywhere and the best atmosphere.

Every six months they mix up all the cutters and stylists and colourists, give them new work stations in different rooms in the house, match them up with those they haven't worked with before.

"Keeps us all fresh," says Bernice my faithful stylist. She's a gift, took me from hair to the waist to a smooth bob that lasts and lasts. You find a good cutter you stick with her/him.

So now she's been matched with this absolutely outrageous stylist for 6 months. I think my jaw dropped when I cast eyes on her for the first time today. Breddie, her name sounded like. Breddie was dressed in an absolutely wild purple and orange mini-dress revealing much of her body. Bright red pumps with 6" heels. Piercings with hardware all over her face including her mouth and nose. Matching colourful tattoos featuring wild flowers covered both her legs, her arms, her breasts and her neck. Her dyed blonde hair with purple streaks swung to her waist festooned with yellow bits and bobs. And one long ostrich feather of emerald green. I took her for an out of control 19 year old.

"Breddie's a card," laughed my stylist who's in her mid forties and dresses soberly in black with sensible work heels and a soothing manner.

Well, thought I grouchily, "card" would be a massive understatement in my book. I can just see the drug den and the biker boyfriend and their lives of dodgy cop avoidance.

An older woman toddled in and sat in Breddie's chair and proceeded to ask her for the wedding photos from the weekend. Whose wedding, thought I, surely Breddie and her criminal dimwitted druggie biker wouldn't be invited to anyone's weddinge

So Breddie hauls out her Iphone and treats the four of us in the room to HER wedding pictures at a pricey well known golf club. In white. All tats under wraps. All hardware removed. Criminal Biker Boy is in a black tux and a perfect hairdo with not a tat or a piece of metal or leather or hairy armpits in sight.

And the killer shot? Their two little flower girls scattering blossoms at their feet as the bride and groom kiss.

Their daughters, five and three years old.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I know, our perceptions can be so off the mark :)
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. I loved reading this........ *Judge not*...... springs to mind!
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds and feathers too Maggie, I don't think I've ever been so far off base :)

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  3. My son Ranjan has got tattoo that cannot be missed. On his right arm he has the serenity prayer that attracts more people than I care to count when I am out with him in half sleeved shirts! My daughter in law Manjiree in turn has some in discreet but possible to view tattoos and the tattooist is their good friend. He has been trying to get me get one too and I have resisted so far. Who knows, one of these days, I may just succumb.

    And, the new look is stunning! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah you tat lovers come in all ages, sizes and genders. Go ahead, get one Ramana!

      And thanks for the comment on the new look!

      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  4. Rotating hairdressers as you describe is an interesting idea I'll share at the shop where I go.

    Tats on others are visually distracting and unattractive to me though I don't stereotype those who choose to mutilate their body with them. My only mutilation is pierced ears.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never judge a book by looking at its cover!

    But isn't it a shame that she felt obliged to "clean herself up" for the wedding and couldn't just go as she was, with the mini-dress, the six inch heels, the piercings and the tats? Now that would have been a spectacular wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get the same reaction when people come to my blog. They see me and the header and quickly disappear without ever reading what I say or find out anything about me. As your readers have said, you should never judge a book by looking at the cover.

    Btw I like the way you write. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joe I will visit your blog now and READ. LOL.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  9. But is it OWJ? I remember my grandma being astonished by my miniskirt and devotion to the Beatles?
    Now that I am a grandma I didn't expect to be so astonished by this young woman and her flamboyance :)
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like tattoos except on Polynesians. But I'm not the most tolerant person.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.