Thursday, March 14, 2019

Words for Wednesday on Thursday 3/13/19

One of the interesting things about this Words for Wednesday adventure is that I have made new blog buddies and get introduced to previously unheard of blogs. March's Words are hosted by Mumblings who classifies herself as a retired lunatic which instantly appeals to me. I've been in the club of "Misfits & Lunatics" since I was born and I always feel at home when I locate more of my tribe.

Her words this week are:

despair*
frizzy hair*
hot air*
impair*
repair*
midair*

You will note they rhyme, so let's see what I can do.

It was the last straw. Truly. She had just pulled out of the parking lot when next thing, behind her, was the flashing light of the police car. She slowly pulled over, panicked. How many glasses of wine? How could the cop tell? She wasn't impaired for God's sake, she was heartbroken.

This, this idiot cop, was now going to shove her further into despair. She turned off the motor, waiting, closing one eye to catch her reflection in the rear view mirror, dear God the rain had pushed her hair over the top into an even more outlandish frizz, she turned the heater up so that the hot air would dry off the sweat and tears and raindrops and snot from her face. She fumbled with her lipstick and tried desperately to repair the smear across her lips where Gordon had tried to plant a farewell kiss, the bastard.

She rolled down her window, her hand shaking and looked slowly up at the tall, grim copper, a red headed giant of a woman who looked as if she ran a chain gang on the side just for fun.

"Okay now," said Redhead, leaning down confidentially, elbows on the window sill, sniffing the air as if to tell the vintage of all that wine, "Tell me I was imagining things when I saw you launch this car clear into midair as you left that parking lot?"


14 comments:

  1. I don't know what to think: Magic or too much wine and despair. Well written story; I'm just having a headache.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such a good writer, setting the theme of heartbreak right at the outset. I enjoyed today's story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh oh! hard to talk her way out of that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd say, I think the breathalyzer will finish her off. Seems unfair tho, I do have such sympathy for her.

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clear into midair?? Yikes! That's a lot of anger she's feeling. Perhaps she can spill the whole tale to Redhead and get herself a ride home, Redhead seems like the compassionate sort. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not too sure about that River, but hell, maybe I'll do a follow-up next week depending on the words. Thank you!

    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Redhead will be kind but just....being a faded to beige redhead myself I may be prejudiced.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so much fun to read this, I especially like the cop/copper's first words.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.