Friday, February 17, 2012

Innies and Outies


No I'm not talking belly buttons. Though I'd like to. Curious things, aren't they? All shapes and sizes. Connections to those who gave birth to us. I lost mine. Seriously. An emergency appendectomy of a slash and burn variety. I tell startled medical people now when I'm having a test that I'm from Venus. We do it differently there so I was hatched from an egg. It gets a chuckle. Or not. Depending on the personality of the technician.

Are you an innie or an outie person? I learned the terminology years ago when my romantic little heart set up a couple as being possible partners in love. They were both extraordinarly attractive and outgoing and to top it all off were both named Joanne. One was a client, the other was my tenant. They had their first date and tenant Joanne told me thanks but it would never go anywhere as client Joanne was an outie and she was an innie. Client Joanne was into motorbikes and extreme sports, tenant Joanne was into reading and theatre and playing her cello.

Well, this was all news to me. But I pay attention. As I do. And was startled to discover that my family and friends and relationships could be so classified. Now, before you start in on me, I do know that opposites attract. And I too have been smitten with the hell-raising fellows who never cut open a book from one end of the year to the other. But on the whole, my longest lasting friendships and relationships have been with innies. Those with an inner life, not predicated on the latest wevs* (fashion, car, star, mag, movie, TV show, cookery guru, etc.) but on their own dreams, aspirations and personal evolution.

And yes, I do know that there can be a mix of innie and outie in a lot of us. But I think most of us do lean one way or the other.

For instance, I find it is my innie friends and family who totally enjoy my haven in Newfoundland and are content to be with themselves without outer distraction and stimulation.





*whatevers

19 comments:

  1. Belly buttons. Did you have a penny binder?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to get in touch with my innie self each day.



    To clean out the lint.

    There is something to the theory. Married at one time to two outies..result two divorces.Married to an innie now...wedded bliss

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, you can have a rich inner life and still enjoy outer distraction and stimulation at the same time. In fact without plenty of external stimulus, my inner life would dry up. Inner and outer feed each other all the time. What about all those Newfoundland landscapes you adore so much?

    ReplyDelete
  4. GFB:
    I don't have that problem anymore, LOL.
    And thanks for proving my point!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nick:
    I don't think you're getting my point at all - or maybe it is my writing of it?
    From reading you over the years I would say you are an innie, this has nothing to do with the great outdoors or travel but merely a more reflective type of human and certainly not part of the great Konsumer Kulture and Britain's got Talent, et al and hortling around in your Hummer.
    Or buying underwear because David Beckham sez so....
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm an innie in all possible ways and the neonatal nurse put a large coin on my belly button so it really qualifies as an innie. The silly things they used to do back then. I think I should be having some sort of a relationship with an outie. It would bring out the best in me. I must go look for one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nora:
    Great idea. Outies brought out some of the best in me but the relationships didn't last.
    My closest relationships have been with fellow innies.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's true enough, I'm the reflective type, but that doesn't rule out external stimulus....

    But any underwear endorsed by David Beckham would be a decided stimulus to buy something else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Innie here, with gravitation towards the weird in A.N. Other rather than the ordinary. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. introverts and extroverts?

    If so, I am a gregarious introvert.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nick:
    I gather you, like me, are inspired by outside stimui of the non-commercial variety?
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Friko:
    No, not quite. Innies can be extroverts, outies can be introverts.
    Innies get more from being rather than doing.
    And I'm your companion gregarious loner!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, I always wondered what to call myself besides and introvert. I'm an innie all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Laveta:
    Welcome! And maybe you are a gregarious loner like some of us?
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  15. WWW, having seen too many successful and unsuccessful relationships in real life, I can honestly say that success or failure cannot be predicted, nor explained post failure or success. Some mysterious force seems to be working here too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good grief! Now I have to reassess all my relationships on the basis of whether they are innes or outties (however you spell those terms.) I do wonder how being asked to show me their belly button will be greeted since I'm not sure if it's wise to simply take someone's word on such an important matter. How soon into the relationship should the question be asked? Life gets so complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Innie here! And happy to be so with books, music, art and all the rest. I just checked my question as to spirit animals and there's not yet an answer as to how one knows about his/her spirit animal. Well, guess I could look it up but I was interested in your owl story. Your breakfast recipe looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.