Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Lament

Lament: I don't often hear the word. A fine old word. Comes from the Latin "Lamentum" which means moan or wail. Many sad old Irish tunes are "Laments". We're a great lamenting lot, us Irish. We lament everything: our children's emigration, our history, our language, our land, our people. I think we're born with a lament written on our psyches.

So I was mulling all this over in my car yesterday. I had to go to town and mulling is de rigeur when I drive by myself. I was trying to come up with a brand new short story for the Commonwealth Short Story Competition. To keep me sharp,I made a resolution this year to plaster all these short story competitions with entries. I get short listed, usually, which pleases me intensely, as it means the stories are readable and interesting. I don't aim to win or place, though that would be a lovely shock. But to go on a list of 100 out of, oh, 3,000-5,000 submissions is very, very pleasing.

So y'all know what I'm talking about - here's a sample of one lament. You can hear the sorrow threading through it. Words are not necessary in a lament.



This is called Lord Mayo and Joanie Madden, she of "Cherish the Ladies" fame, tackles it.

So I was playing this in my car and as luck would have it (it does happen now and again) a short story fell into my head. About this woman at a dinner party being asked to sing an Irish lament. And I wrote it last night and have been polishing it today amongst other stuff like my washing machine breaking down and blueberries needing to be jammed and a Tigeen needing to be cleaned.

Priorities.

6 comments:

  1. How I admire people who have stories to write!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems I never run out of them though the odd dry spell happens S JG.
      XO
      WWW

      Delete
  2. Dear WWW,

    I have been catching up on your posts, and boy, have you had a lot going on...
    Congratulations on the short story and the competition...When I read of the recent loss of your friend, I was saddened both for her parents and you. I wish you comfort and peace, and good luck with the dinner for your daughter and her father and his wife...there's a story there that's better than fiction...though it isn't likely to see publication. My best to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks E - many stories always my friend. I am a non-stop scribe....

      I hope all is well with you!

      XO
      WWW

      Delete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.