Thursday, February 10, 2011

Blog Jam


(Picture taken a few minutes ago. Click to enbiggen and find the bird!)

~~~~~~In the depths of winter I finally learned that within me is an invincible summer~~~~~~

The snow has stopped. Finally. I know we've had a breeze of a winter compared with most out there. Funny how that entitlement sets in. As if snow was a direct affront to our green winter. When winters past here are the stuff of legends.

"We used to walk across the bay!"

"Seven feet tall, the snow would be. Right over the roofs of the sheds!"

And now we get a light snowfall and the outrage is tangible.

I was cabinned for 4 days. I know cabin is not a verb but I like to create my own.

I didn't get much done. I slept. I read. I watched Series 1 of "House". Old-Ladied (there I go again!) in front of the fire. Memories. Dozed. Got on the phone a bit. Lost internet connection. Fired off some politician letters mouthing off yet again about the lack of basic business infrastructure (Broadband, Fibre Optic) that has been promised for over 10 years for the outports. They don't realize how insulting it is for all representatives of government to Blackberry (and again!) me a reply. The usual. I don't have to relay it here. Polipromises as I call them.

Days are longer. Sun is actually in the sky at 5.30 p.m. I walked the dog around dusk yesterday as if taunting the day to elongate even further.

There are many birds here that haven't been seen in these parts through the winter. Ever. I haul out my bird book as they feed in my feeders. So many strangers. Finding my feeders.

It is good to be alive. Reaching out and touching the face of Spring.

19 comments:

  1. I saw my first robin last week which always makes me happy. Hooray for spring! Altho I do love warm sweaters and hot tea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen:
    Yes the sweater and hot cocoa thing appeals to me too. But I'm ready now for the longer days and the forget-me-nots' return - they carpet my grass here and I love them.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being cabinned for 4 days is the sensible option in bad weather. Unfortunately I had to go to work in the snow and ice nightmare of December so no cabinning for me (and there's a new noun as well!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah so you're working again, my good fellow. I thought you had retired and were busy keeping the Nick-and-Jenny palace spick and spannish.
    I don't envy anyone struggling out doors in these dire conditions.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've still got snow up to our knees, but the main streets are passable.
    Oh to see a robin.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the seasons, even those we have in the south. They continue to come around in spite of all the ways we screw with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the view! Mind you I prefer to enjoy it from indoors these days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy not to have to go outside, clean the car off and drive through bad weather....so nice to be retired. Spring will be here in no time and the days a much longer now......:-)Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photo, WWW! Glad you enjoyed your cabinning.

    We've had another winter storm here too, but missed the very heavy snowfall, didn't miss the minus-something temps though for the last couple of days.

    Back to the near 70s by weekend, they say. Amazing swings we have here. Don't know whether we're coming or going. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Across the Gulf here, today I waded through snow over my knees and still not "touching bottom" to refill the birdfeeder.

    They tell those stories of winters of yore here too, like when the snow was piled so high the deer snagged their antlers in the power lines. That would be way back in '90, 1990.

    ReplyDelete
  11. On the way Helen, from Newfoundland, with love!
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  12. Story:
    Isn't it grand that we are so much lesser than nature and the wonderful seasons?
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  13. GM:
    Yes, me too, I ventured out tonight and got my car stuck sideways in my own driveway!
    XO
    WWW
    Still stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bernie:
    I tried to get out and worse luck got the car stuck.
    I should have stayed indoors.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  15. T:
    Very odd weather indeed. And everywhere it looks like.
    Much as we complain here it has been the warmest winter in history, at least since they started charting such things.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  16. Annie,
    I tried to disbelieve the yarners but they have pictures of those cute Newfoundland ponies pulling the cutters across the bay.
    I've seen the snow pics too, people huddled inside no doubt, but it kept the houses warmer, LOL.
    Poor deer. It would have happened here too only they didn't have power lines until the sixties way out here at the edge.....
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the snow - which is just as well as we're moving to Upper Michigan. Mind, only the pristine white stuff, not that vile, filthy, slush that predominates in the towns thanks to motor vehicles.

    It's amazing that Newfoundland only had one snowfall all winter.

    Hope your feeling better after your bad news.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, one REAL one, RJA! The rest didn't hang around.
    Yes, I accepted it from the very beginning but the anger was something else, the helplessness, the whatifs. I just knew she couldn't continue living. It was total hell for her. I feel very sad for her child.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think we're having springtime already here. It's a little bit early, I'm glad. It's nice that you enjoy cabining and old ladying. Yjeu sound like perfect activities for this kind of weather.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.