Sunday, April 12, 2015

30 Days - Day 3

The Back Door.

If you're reading this for any kind of a while you know I have a missing daughter.

The years keep climbing on. Years that can never, ever be replaced or lived in harmony with the vanished one.

I've talked to others in the same boat and their stories of reuniting are not encouraging, for the eggshells in dialogue and memory recollection or photographs displayed refresh the pain of loss.

However, for the last few years Missing Daughter has contacted a neighbour of her estranged aunt (she has estranged her entire family), ostensibly to inquire about a son she was close to when she lived with her aunt, but updating her also on her life.

So she is okay. Neighbour fills aunt in, aunt fills MD's father in, father informs Daughter, Daughter tells me.

These are wizened little crumbs scattered on our never-ending love for her.

And part of me thinks:

She knows.

9 comments:

  1. I was estranged from my father for about four years, but that was his decision - it was a reaction to my confronting him about his abusiveness. It took him that long to decide he was ready to talk about it. With my own kids, I am quick to reach out and repair any conflict because I can't stand the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who is experiencing this rejection, though not so harshly. What I see is two women continuing to damage each other in the name of family values. They would be better off if they just let it go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SAW:
    There never was conflict, she just cut us all off without explanation.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hattie:
    Here loss to us is the damage. I imagine if she felt any kind of regret she would get in touch with her huge extended family.
    XO
    WWW

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that at least you get some news of her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad that at least you get some news of her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wasn't suggesting there was - just talking about estrangement in my own family.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome. Anonymous comments will be deleted unread.

Email me at wisewebwomanatgmaildotcom if you're having trouble.